This is just a quick overview to remind you of the areas covered below. You should still read through all the rules before you agree each time.
- A maximum of one account per person
- Competing teams/individuals can’t collaborate on final answers
- You have can only use the data in the ways we set out below
- This includes the use of external data (which is almost always banned)
- The winner is the person with the highest score on our test metric
- If you want to win, no cheating or breaking these rules
- You also have to conform to any competition specific rules (listed on the competition details page)
- You have to be able to transfer the IP of your answer to collect your prize
- See below for more details on winning, prizes and tie breaks
You are not allowed to sign-up and submit from multiple accounts. This will result in your candidature being disqualified from interviews and other prizes.
You are not allowed to share code or data with others. Any code or solution sharing will result in your candidature being disqualified from interviews. Snippets posted on the forum or available on the wiki are okay to share.
You are allowed a maximum of 2 submissions/day. Any more submission will move to the end of the queue and may not be processed.
- i. All participants agree to compete in the competition in a manner that is fair and in good faith. Evidence that indicates a user has tried to gain an unfair advantage over other competitors will lead that user’s account being terminated at Auquan’s sole discretion.
- ii. Should evidence arise that a competition’s integrity has been breached and some users, therefore, have an unfair advantage (e.g. through unmasking of a dataset or leaking of verification/test datasets), Auquan reserves the right to modify the problem statement or data sets to restore fair competition. If this is not possible Auquan reserves the right to suspend/terminate the competition at that point. The award of prizes, in such event, would be exclusively at Auquan’s discretion.
- i. 'Data' means the Data or Datasets linked from the Competition Website for the purpose of use by Participants in the Competition. For the avoidance of doubt, Data is deemed for the purpose of these Competition Rules to include any prototype or executable code provided to Participants by Auquan or Competition Sponsor via the Website.
- ii. Participants must use the Data only as permitted by these Competition Rules and any associated data use rules specified on the Competition Website.
- iii. Unless otherwise permitted by the terms of the Competition Website, Participants must use the Data solely for the purpose and duration of the Competition, including but not limited to reading and learning from the Data, analyzing the Data, modifying the Data and generally creating your Submission and any underlying models and participating in forum discussions on the Website.
- iv. Participants must not copy, access, or otherwise use the Data for any purpose other than to participate in the Competition for which such Data was provided.
- v. Participants must not attempt to access any Auquan data sets that they are not explicitly given access to. This includes, but is not limited to, any test or validation data sets used by our public scoring system to provide intra-competition feedback. External data sets are also forbidden unless specifically allowed in a specific competition/problem rule set.
- vi. Participants agree to use suitable measures to prevent persons who have not formally agreed to these Competition Rules from gaining access to the Data and agree not to transmit, duplicate, publish, redistribute or otherwise provide or make available the Data to any party not participating in the Competition.
- vii. Participants agree to notify Auquan immediately upon learning of any possible unauthorized transmission or unauthorized access of the Data and agree to work with Auquan and/or Competition Sponsor to rectify any unauthorized transmission.
- viii. Participants agree that participation in the Competition shall not be construed as having or being granted a license (expressly, by implication, estoppel, or otherwise) under, or any right of ownership in, any of the Data.
EXTERNAL DATA RULES
Unless otherwise expressly stated on the Competition Website, Participants must not use data other than the Data to develop and test their models and Submissions. Competition Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any Participant who Competition Sponsor determines in its sole discretion has undertaken or attempted to undertake the use of data other than the Data, or who uses the Data other than as permitted according to the Competition Website and in these Competition Rules, in the course of the Competition.
- i. This Competition is a challenge of skill and the final results are determined solely by leaderboard ranking on the private leaderboard (subject to compliance with these Competition Rules).
- ii. Participants' scores and ranks on the Competition Website at any given stage of the Competition will be based on the objective evaluation metric described on the Competition Website, as determined by applying the predictions generated by the Submission to the ground truth of a historical validation dataset whose instances were a fixed set sampled from the Data.
- iii. The evaluation metric used for scoring and ranking Submissions will be displayed on the Competition Website.
- iv. To reduce overfitting, you are given only a subset of the data for backtesting as validation set are not available for download. On submitting solution, an overview of your performance over complete training + validation (holdout) set will be available. At the end of the competition, the performance of your submission will be tested on a test dataset (which is also not available for download).
- v. Unless otherwise stated, the final score is calculated over our holdout test data set (not performance over backtested training data and validation data).
- vi. Unless otherwise stated, your final submission (closest to the competition end) will be used to calculate your final score.
- vii. Competitions will often declare a minimum benchmark required for entry into the prize pool. If a benchmark is not declared, the minimum benchmark shall default to accuracy of a random decision (e.g. for a binary outcome this would be p=0.5 or AUC=0.5).
- viii. Prize awards are subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with these Competition Rules. All decisions of the Competition Sponsor and judges will be final and binding on all matters relating to this Competition with no right to appeal. Competition Sponsor reserves the right to examine the Submission and any associated code or documentation for compliance with these Competition Rules.
- ix. Every Participant agrees to grant and hereby grants to Competition Sponsor an irrevocable, worldwide, and royalty-free right to review the Submission (including any and all submitted source code) for purposes related to evaluation and scoring in this Competition, including but not limited to the assessment of potential cheating behaviour.
- x. In the event that the Submission demonstrates a breach of these Competition Rules, Competition Sponsor may at its discretion take either of the following actions:
- a. Disqualify your Submission(s); or
- b. Require that you remediate within one week all issues identified in your Submission(s) (including, without limitation, the resolution of license conflicts, the fulfilment of all obligations required by software licenses, and the removal of any software that violates the software restrictions). Failure to remediate the identified deficiencies within the specified time frame may result in disqualification.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LICENSING
- i. As a further condition of receipt of a Prize, each winning Participant thereby licenses their winning Submission and the source code used to generate the Submission according to the Winner License Type specified above (note: if no Winner License Type is specified above, the Winner License Type is deemed to be Non-Exclusive License).
- ii. Every Participant agrees to grant and hereby grants to Competition Sponsor an irrevocable, worldwide, and royalty-free right to review the Submission (including any and all submitted source code) for purposes related to evaluation and scoring in this Competition, including but not limited to the assessment of potential cheating behaviour.
- i. If the Winner License Type for the Competition (see Winner License Type above) is a Non-Exclusive License then each Winner by accepting a Prize thereby:
- a. Grants to Competition Sponsor and its designees a worldwide, non-exclusive, sub-licensable, transferable, fully paid-up, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable right to use, not use, reproduce, distribute, create derivative works of, publicly perform, publicly display, digitally perform, make, have made, sell, offer for sale, and import and otherwise exploit and use their winning Submission and the source code used to generate the Submission, in any media now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without further approval by or payment to Participant; and
- b. Represents that he/she/it has the unrestricted right to grant that license without the need for any licenses, releases, consents, approvals or immunities not yet obtained.
A tie between two or more valid and identically ranked submissions will be resolved in favour of the tied submission that was submitted first.